Friday, January 22, 2010

COLLECTION-Silverware-


To all Gypsy Fish Sunday Silver readers.  My appologies, but I put the wrong link on today.  I already posted this.  I meant to put this link
Collections

Collecting is an obsession for me, a compulsive behaviour, a habit. It is a reflection of me. I don't collect any item worth over $20.00. I like to group similar items together as they become more cohesive, not as junky. When you collect something, you are instantly drawn to it at a flea market and can zero on in it amongst hundreds of items. Your heart gets that flutter when you see it, and you swoop in and touch it, thereby laying claim to it as yours.

There's hardly an old knife, spoon or fork I can walk past without examining it more closely to see if the pattern is roses, or sunflowers, delicate scrolls or even, the best of all, if there are initials engraved on it. If it is engraved, I simply have to have it. I have to tuck it in my drawer until I find the perfect person with that same initial to present it to with a jar of homemade marmalade or jam.

This is my extra cutlery drawer. Not my everyday stuff, but the exuberantly mismatched drawer of vintage pieces that I bring out on special occasions. These are the delicate rose teaspoons, the Bakelite handled knives and the long barley- twist handled spoons. I could never pick a set of new silverware. The old just have a feel and look like no others.

Chania


Clockwise from top Left:  1. Steak Knives with Bakelite handles 2. Silver Mustard and Salt Spoons 3. Silver Spoons and more Spoons, some with engraved initials. 4.  DinnerKnives with Embossed Roses-a pretty gift

Take a look at Silver Sundays over at http://thegypsyfish.blogspot.com/



22 comments:

  1. I agreed with you. We just cant resist from buying the things we like. I have a passion for vintagey dishes. I did the same thing. Going to the flea market to find old dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to get a little collection (okay, yours looks big) of mismatched silver. Your collection is fantastic. The bakelite knives look wonderful. I'm just going to have to start looking and not worry about what the Worker Bee might say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful collection! I love vintage silver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice collection. I love how we do suddenly become accutely aware of that which makes our hearts flutter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always looked at those monogrammed silverware and put them down-what a waste! I LOVE your idea of giving it as a gift, that is sooo wonderful! Thanks for that inspiration!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, I am in love with these! Especially the bakelite handles. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your silverware drawers just bursting with beautiful pieces! I love you blog and it's my first time visiting...I love to Faff around...I love that term..never heard it before! LOL
    Delightful post!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  8. heheheh, it seems we both have the same obsession...can't wait to see more.

    Sylvia :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like old silver as well and, like you, all the better if they're engraved! And often they are rather inexpensive which is good!

    Your collection is beautiful -- you've got some great pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written post. It seems to describe me to a tee!
    You have a fabulous collection of mismatched silver. I love your idea of presenting an engraved piece to a friend with the same initial.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish my silverware drawer looked as nice and organized as yours. :) Love the idea of the silverware with initial as a gift with homemade jam. Things that are mismatched are much more lovely than all that goes together. Have a great day! Tammy PS I always seem to be faffing around ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a great collection and I love the mismatched look! Keep collecting! Happy SS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice collection of silverware...I am another that loves it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful silver. i want to start a collection.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so get the heart fluttering at a flea market....it's so hard to resist the hunt! Thanks for being part of Silver Sunday....see you next week~
    {{gypsy hugs}}
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have a passion for white vintage ironstone which we use every day. Our everyday "silverware" is mismatched vintage silver. Wouldn't want it any other way. Your collection is lovely...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Collection ~ So Sweet would a monogrammed teaspoon be with a jar of jelly ~
    Have a Wonderful Week
    cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful collection you have! I love how it's all mismatched, it makes it even more charming!


    ♥ Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your collection. Now I want to start one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great collection of vintage silverware!

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My obsession is green american pottery. I keep buying them, even though I have no place to put them. I have fun. Afterall, we are all collectors of something.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania