Sunday, January 10, 2010

NOSH - Belgian Waffles
















A treat for my overnight guests. Homemade waffles, fresh fruit and maple syrup. 
Vintage knife and fork, vintage Irish Linen table runner.

As you get to know me better, you will discover things like, I can't use a paint color if I don't like the name of it, or I can't enjoy soup if I eat it with a teaspoon, or that I hate square waffles. I just don't think they same the same. My neurosis likely has a name, but my friends and family have been kind enough not to mention it (yet).

When I have guests, I love to treat them to homemade (round) waffles served with fresh local fruit and real maple syrup. I buy maple syrup in 2 litre bottles from Mennonites in Williamsford, Ontario. There is nothing like it, especially drizzled on yogurt in the morning. My uncle in the Uk likes to eat it by the spoonful.

ALERT: Did you know that AJ's "Butter Rich" table syrup has 13 ingredients (chemicals). (INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CELLULOSE GUM, NATURAL BUTTER FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL MAPLE FLAVOR, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), CARAMEL COLOR. From www.auntjemima.com )

Real maple syrup contains 1 ingredient-maple syrup. Of course it is twice the price, so buy it in season, locally if possible or use half as much. Far better than drowning your lovely round waffles in the faux stuff.

BELGIAN WAFFLES


2 c. flour
2 eggs
2 c. buttermilk
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. cooking oil

Mix eggs, buttermilk and oil together. Add dry ingredients. Bake on a hot Belgian Waffle iron. Makes 5 waffles   from http://www.cooks.com/

1 comment:

  1. Right after I hit "Publish your comment", I'm throwing out my Aunt Jemima's. :D

    Breakfast looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania