Sunday, January 24, 2010

SUNDAY SUPPER


Farmstyle Chicken and Potatoes



I think it is so important to sit down as a family for supper as often as possible.
I read a great post on www.blushinghostessentertains.blogspot.com regarding sitting with your family to eat. You can read it here; http://blushinghostessentertains.blogspot.com/2010/01/dinner-reclaiming-relic.html . She makes a good point about family mealtime becoming a relic. I know many families who do, but many who seldom gather to eat.



My mother lives in a nursing home, and not only is the food not great, the atmosphere can be a little daunting at times. We like to have her here at the house for supper on Sunday, along with whatever kids, friends and other family members are around.



I always set the dining table with cloth napkins and a tablecloths, vintage silverware, wine glasses and candles.
When mum is with us, I try to make the table as festive as possible. Last Sunday, I set the table with French COuntry style linens and cooked a farmstyle dinner with chicken, roma tomatoes, onions and fingerling potatoes, followed by homemade rice pudding.



The chicken dish was a 5 minute, 1 pan recipe and anyone can make it easily. Here is my recipe.



Ingredients:
4 large Chicken Breasts, bone in, skin on
1 big Onion chopped into 8
4 Roma tomatoes quartered
Oregano- 4 sprigs chopped
1 ½ pounds Fingerling Potatoes (par boiled for 15 mins)
Olive Oil,
Salt and Pepper

Directions":
Preheat oven to 375 F. Place chicken breasts in large oven roasting pan. Add the chopped onions, tomatoes and potatoes. (I always par boil the potatoes first until soft, as then they go wonderfully crisp in the oven. Splash a little olive oil over everything and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground pepper, making sure everything get evenly coated with olive oil. Bake for 45 mins or until the chicken juices run clear.



Homemade rice pudding with a dollop of homemade jam.


1 comment:

  1. Chania, I love your blog, and I love the idea of collecting silver cutlery with initials on as gifts. Thanks for sharing that one, and please keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania