Thursday, March 11, 2010

When you find that perfect piece

I have been struggling with achieving balance in my living room.  I have a fireplace on the main wall with a space twice the size to the right of the space to the left of it.
I recently added this piece to the right side
But the left side has been a problem for years... I have tried various pieces but nothing seemed right. In the end I just left the chair there with nothing waiting for the right piece to come along.
...and then one day a couple of weeks ago..my business partner Lorraine took some junk from her garage to the shop...and this is what one of the items..

a pale, scrubby gateleg table with barley twist legs

I eyed it all afternoon at the shop, then stuffed it in my car and brought it home to try it out.

And it worked, it was the piece that was missing.  I checked with Lorraine to make sure she really was going to give it up and she promptly gave it to me.  She even fed her family of 6 around this table for years and it had come from England with her, which made it even more special.

I hung above it a huge ornate plaster mirror that I found on the road when my children were little.  It was so heavy I made them get out of the stroller and walk home so the mirror could be pushed in the stroller!  It has a restoration number on the back of it, so I am sure it was once a really good piece.  I think it works well with the scrubby table.  One of perils and pleasures of our business is we are always finding buts that would work well in our houses, and we have to let them go, but not this one...it's a keeper.

Check out Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
and Furniture Friday at Miss Mustard Seed Creations
to see what other treasure people have found.

14 comments:

  1. wonderful. that piece is perfect. My fireplace is just the same - off-centered on the wall, so I know exactly what you mean! looks so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great table, it fits there perfectly and I love the mirror above it. I can imagine that if I worked in your business I would have a very full house! Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The table looks perfect there and how wonderful that it belonged to your business partner so it's even more special! And I love the story about the mirror and the stroller, too funny!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love the table. The patina is perfectt and its sentimental too. It looks beautiful, you found the right place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, this is the missing piece! It looks fabulous to the left of the fireplace and the story that goes with it is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chania, the table is gorgeous and looks like it was made for that space! Great things come to those who wait (is that the correct saying?). It looks fabulous and how special that it has a story behind it! Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is gorgeous, my mother has one very similiar that I covet. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is great that you not only have found the perfect piece but also one that will always remind you of a friend. It pays to wait for the proper answer to find its way into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. another test-sorry guys, but I changed web hosts and can't get certain emails......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you stop by my blog...as you see that table is wonderful and I rarely buy anything for my home with color, I like to liken it to driftwood colors or burlap. That table would look great in my home as well, but it looks better in yours :)

    Great site!!!
    I will be back soon
    "Dore"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Chania... :o) !!

    THANK YOU for your lovely note...!! I'm THRILLED to have found your lovely blog....! I'm just home from the days Treasure Hunting so I'm going to get some dinner together & a glass of wine & come back for a good read....!

    I look forward to catching up with you again soon....!!

    Hope you're having a GREAT weekend....!

    Cheers from Australia,
    Tamarah :o)

    PS: LOVE this table....Just goes to show....Good things come to those that wait....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The table is not only gorgeous but absolutely perfect for that space!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the legs on that table. Gorgeous! And you're right, it;s just perfect there. It's a nice balance to the bookcase on the other side. Good find!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania