Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Cheating Cooks Guide to Cinammon Bun LOVE

I love to bake and will try just about anything, however, when it comes to bread dough, I feel like I am circling the drain a bit.  So when I had the urge to make cinnamon buns, I was looking for a way to skip the dough making part and get right to it.

My solution is pizza dough.  Almost every grocery store now sells fresh pizza dough chilled in a poly bag. (you can even buy an uncooked frozen bread dough and defrost it.  Here's what you need.

1 Pizza dough
1 stick (4ozs) Salted Butter
1 1/2  cups Brown Sugar
Cinnamon 
Raisins, Walnuts, Dried Cranberries, Pecans or WHATEVER you like to sprinkle on them

On a floured board roll your dough to 15" x 12" rectangle
Spread butter over dough with spatula.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon
Toss on raisins, nuts or whatever.
Roll the dough from the 15" side into a roll.
Slice the roll into 1 1/2 " slices
Lay flat 1/2 inch apart on baking dish or cookie sheet (must have an edge to stop oozing melted sugar)
Baked at 350 F for about 15 minutes or until the dough is golden and cooked.
Remove from pan and place on parchment paper or cooling rack. you will have some yummy melted butter and sugar in the pan,  Spoon it off and drizzle over the hot buns.

Mix 3/4 cup icing sugar with 1teaspoon vanilla and a little milk until it is smooth and runs easily off the spoon.  Drizzle 1 tsp of icing  over each bun while still warm.

The kind you buy at certain Cinnamon Bun shops taste good, but they are made with shortening and artificial vanilla, not butter. The butter makes all the difference in the taste here.  These are amazingly gooey and buttery and vanilla-y.  Only a few minutes to make and a wonderful Sunday morning treat.

16 comments:

  1. Yummm!! I might try this with shop bought puff pastry too. Mmmm!! Thank you for a delicious Sunday morning post. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. O My !! ...these looks delicious !!......bring some over to here please.......happy sunday darling......love Ria..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea!! I am so excited to try this! I like to bake but any type of yeast bread is too intimidating for me. Now I can finally make cinnamon rolls. yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look absolutely delicious, Chania, but our backward shops here sell no pizza dough and I'm doomed to sad hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy! And what a cool alternative to making the dough yourself. Smart girl!
    I've always loved make yeast doughs - something making them, kneading them and working with them feels good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep em warm, I'll be right there!

    xx

    z

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe Chania...now how do I stop myself from baking them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're making me feel hungry, Chania - what a brilliant idea to use pizza dough. They look absolutely delicious, definitely going to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come round to my gaff if you want cinammon bun love, baby (should be read on a 'Barry White' voice, which I have right now, due to a slight cold).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your Halloween pics!! What a hoot.

    Yum Yum Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you.
    Every time I see photos of cinnamon buns, I get sad, they just don't have the sort that I am used to , where I now live.
    And I am not a good enough baker with the yeast and rising etc to do it from scratch ... so I gave up on having fresh cinnamon rolls.
    Now there is hope !
    Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I yiyi, I need to make some of those! I bet the house will smell great. Thanks for the idea.
    Happy Halloween, jj

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those bun places! Too good to pass but it is better so sweet it is.

    My grandfather's house is close to Bloemfontein, a town in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My word, those look delicious! I never thought of just buying pizza dough. You're very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you thank you for sharing this , YUM

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania