Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Broccoli Soup


It is a great time of year here in Canada for soup.  When it is minus 15 Celsius outside, you really need a hearty soup to warm you up and pump you of veggies and vitamins.  I will make soup from just about anything I have laying around.  If I cook a roast and have potatoes and veg left over, I toss them into a soup the next day.  Since I am on a diet, I can't have bread with mine, but this soup in so thick and hearty, I won;t miss it....much.  I am lying to you...I LOVE bread.  This soup will make me feel cheated without it.

I started off with 2 bunches of broccoli, 1 onion, a few odd carrots lying around and 1 litre of chicken stock. 
Cut the onion and brown it in a little olive oil until translucent.  Throw in the chicken stock, 1 litre of water, the cut broccoli and carrots or whatever veg you have laying around.  I don't usually put carrot in my broccoli soup, but in this case I have a bunch sitting about.  Boil it all with a little salt and pepper until the veggies are all soft.  Blend it in a blender or with a hand held device. (not sure what those hand held blenders are called?)

Finish seasoning with a little salt and pepper and add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese.  Serve with grilled cheese croutons (make a grilled cheese sandwich and cut it up into squares).

8 comments:

  1. Chania, this sounds fabulous!! I will be filing this one away for when winter rolls around here. Thank you for sharing!!! YUM :) ~ Txx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I love making soup and broccoli is one of my favourites. Will have to give this recipe a go. Thanks for sharing x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good and broccoli is my favorite vegetable. This sounds so good mostly because I don't really like soups made with cream. Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...warms the cockles of my heart just thinking about it. 'Course here in Texas we add Cheez Whiz...lol!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. After much struggling, I have finally been able to add myself as a follower. Really enjoy your posts.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy! (Immersion blender is I believe what they are called.)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania