Monday, January 21, 2013

Care Package




The Raz kids never leave this house without a care package. For Boy Child, it's usually sandwich's and fruit and left over slices of cake to get them through the 6 hour drive home to Montreal. For Girl Child, it's usually a couple of suppers to heat up, a package of loo rolls (since when did TP get SO expensive) to help with her grocery budget, and today for my perpetually cold Girl Child, it's soup. Homemade cauliflower and cheese soup sent home in well used jars, far too pretty to throw in the bin. It's going to be -15 Celsius tonight and tomorrow, and combined with a wicked flu season, soup is where it's at. Especially a simple thick vegetable soup because it nutritious and delicious. 

And, because soup tastes better eaten with a real English soup spoon, I'm sending her home with a big old fashioned soup spoon.

Cauliflower and Cheese Soup.
1 onion chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 large head cauliflower, washed and cut into bits/
1 tetra pak 900 ml vegetable stock
approx 2 cups water.
Salt and pepper to taste
6 ozs grated cheddar

Fry up the onion in olive oil in large pot. when onion is soft and translucent, add the stock, water, and cauliflower. Use just enough water to almost cover the top of the cauliflower in the pot. Boil gently until soft. With immersion blender or food processor, whiz it up until smooth. Stir in the grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

10 comments:

  1. Chania.....I have a head of cauliflower ...I was going to roast it Ina style, but I think I must make this soup instead. Thanks!!!! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the sound of this soup! I always take care packages to my kids when I visit. I also take a new book to my Grandson Tiger everytime I visit and we read the new book together. I have a bag that has his name on it and he knows the 'Tiger' bag holds goodies for him...love it! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds yummy and comforting. And perfect for your expected cold weather. Just say "no" to that flu. No!!! Stay warm! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy.love the little checkered topped jars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious! I love soup, even when it's not cold:) And I love cauliflower. Stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do a very similar soup here. Try sprinkling some crumbled bacon on top for a tasty garnish!

    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make the same soup but with grated parmesan instead of cheddar Chania - gives it a lovely silky texture. It's been in my fridge this silly-cold week too! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania